Siargao rose to fame for its surfing breaks, and recently more areas of the island are being open to the public. These include Sugba Lagoon along with Kawhagan Island and Pamomoan Island, which can be found in the municipality of Del Carmen.
Actually, Hali and I had already been here in 2015, for our outreach mission in a local barangay in the area. We stayed in a small island called Isla Verde Resort and explored Sugba Lagoon, which our tour guide referred to only as “a hidden lagoon”, and then island hopped to Kawhagan Island and Midway Island (currently closed to the public).
Our trip was memorable because we had the chance to explore the mangrove forests and islands in Del Carmen undisturbed. Everything was still and peaceful, there was no one else but us.
Today, Sugba Lagoon and the beaches in Kawhagan Island and Pamomoan Island are one of the major tourist attractions in the island. Here’s our Guide to Sugba Lagoon, Kawhagan Island and Pamomoan Island.
P.S. Don’t forget to read our Complete Travel Guide to Siargao Island!
How to get here
From General Luna, you can rent a motorbike (P350 per day) or ride a habal-habal (motorbike taxi) or tricycle to Del Carmen Port. Travel time is about 1 hour.
From the port, it takes an easy 30-minute ride to get to Sugba Lagoon. On your way, you will pass through a thick mangrove forest which is one of the attractions in Del Carmen.
Sugba Lagoon is composed of massive inlets surrounded by clear deep-green water. It’s gorgeous.
There is a 2-story floating cottage used as a docking port for the boats. Here you can rent life vests, snorkel or paddle boat. There is also a restaurant where you can order BBQ meat or seafood for P100 per person or buy the fresh catch for the day for cooking. Just make sure to get there early since the food may run out immediately after lunch time.
Once we got here, our group divided into different activities. I swam and floated in the beautiful water, Hali jumped from the dive boards and the rest tried stand-up paddle boarding.
We spent around 1.5-2 hours here, which honestly wasn’t enough. I could spend a whole afternoon here just relaxing and looking at the surrounding islets.
Kawhagan Island is an isolated island in the middle of the sea, about 30 minutes away from Sugba Lagoon. It sits across Pamomoan Island. It has a small beach with fine sand, surrounded by coconut trees.
There are a few cottages in the island. This usually serves as lunch stop for tours, where the tour guides can prepare and cook meals. You can also buy fresh coconut or beer to go along with your food.
We swam here but took care since the waves are strong across all sides.
Pamomoan Island is a recently opened attraction in Del Carmen in 2019. It’s similar to Kawhagan Island, with a dense clump of coconut trees surrounding the beach.
There are tables set up under the trees so you can enjoy meals with a view of the Kawhagan Island.
Here you relax, swim or snorkel around the surrounding reef.
Where to book tours
Here are the current rates for Sugba Lagoon. Kawhagan Island and Pamomoan Island (updated as of 2020).
This is a cost-effective option if you’re in a group. The Del Carmen Tourism Center (located at Del Carmen Port) offers various packages for boat tours. You can also wait for other joiners.
- Sugba Lagoon
P1600 (good up to 6 people)
- Mangrove View Deck, Sugba Lagoon, Kawhagan Island and Pamomoan Island
P2800 (good up to 6 people)
Docking fee for Kawhagan and Pamomoan: P150 per boat
You must also pay the environmental fee: local tourist – P50 / foreign tourist – P100.
- For big groups (maximum of 9), excess is P200 per person.
- Eco-guides if requested is P300 per tour.
- Children below 7 years old are free. Maximum of 3 kids per group.
- Sugba Lagoon: table & chairs – P100 / paddleboard rent – P200 per hour or P500 unlimited use / kayak rent – P200 per hour
- Kawhagan and Pamomoan: cottage rent – P150
Local travel agencies offer tours for Sugba Lagoon, Kawhagan Island and Pamomoan Island. Rate is around P1500-2000 per person.
You can also book this tour via Klook. Rate is P2000 per person including lunch.
You can also find tours for Sugba Lagoon + land attractions in Siargao. Rate is around P1500-1600 per person.
Where to stay
The best places to stay in Siargao are in General Luna and Pacifico. These are close to the Cloud 9 for surfing and transportation is easily available for exploring the rest of the island.
Mid-range to luxury options:
- Kalipay Resort Siargao | Book discounted rooms here
- Lampara Siargao Boutique Hostel | Book discounted rooms here
- Nay Palad Hideaway | Book discounted rooms here
Here’s our pick of the Best Resorts in Siargao.
Reminders and Tips
- This tour can be done in half a day, depending on your pace.
- Start your tour early at around 6 or 7AM so you can get there before everyone else.
- These places can get crowded especially during peak season (summer or the months of March to May). There are less people during off-peak season in the ber-months but depending on the sea condition, island hopping tours may get cancelled.
- If you want to eat seafood, you can buy fresh catch in a market near Del Carmen Port and have it cooked in the restaurant in Sugba Lagoon for a fee. You can also buy seafood in this restaurant but it’s more expensive.
- Bring your own water bottle and snacks.
Here are some useful links for your trip to Sugba Lagoon, Kawhagan Island and Pamomoan Island in Del Carmen:
Has this Guide to Sugba Lagoon, Kawhagan Island and Pamomoan Island been helpful to you? Let us know in the comment section below!